by Paulick Report Staff | 04.30.2017 | 3:05pm
The last of the Kentucky Derby riding assignments was confirmed on Sunday morning, and the current field of 20 is all booked up for Saturday’s Run for the Roses. The most recent addition is that of jockey Channing Hill aboard Fast and Accurate for trainer Mike Maker; Hill breezed the colt at Churchill Downs on Sunday morning, then announced the decision later in the morning on Twitter.
Tyler Gaffalione will be aboard the Todd Pletcher-trained Patch for Calumet Farm, it was also announced on Twitter Sunday morning. Pletcher’s other riders were announced over the past few weeks, with John Velazquez scheduled to team with Always Dreaming and Jose Ortiz to pilot Tapwrit.
Trainer Steve Asmussen confirmed his final Derby reinsmen on Saturday, naming Ricardo Santana to ride Untrapped and Corey Lanerie to ride Lookin at Lee. Florent Geroux had previously been named to ride Hence.
Late last week, trainer Dale Romans named Luis Saez as the replacement rider for the injured Robby Albarado aboard J Boys Echo.
Here is the full list of expected Kentucky Derby contenders and their riders, as of Sunday afternoon:
- Always Dreaming (John Velazquez)
- Battle of Midway (Flavien Prat)
- Classic Empire (Julien Leparoux)
- Fast and Accurate (Channing Hill)
- Girvin (Mike Smith)
- Gormley (Victor Espinoza)
- Gunnevera (Javier Castellano)
- Hence (Florent Geroux)
- Irap (Mario Gutierrez)
- Irish War Cry (Rajiv Maragh)
- J Boys Echo (Luis Saez)
- Lookin At Lee (Corey Lanerie)
- McCraken (Brian Hernandez Jr.)
- Patch (Tyler Gaffalione)
- Practical Joke (Joel Rosario)
- Sonneteer (Kent Desormeaux)
- State of Honor (Jose Lezcano)
- Tapwrit (Jose Ortiz)
- Thunder Snow (Ire) (Christophe Soumillon)
- Untrapped (Ricardo Santana Jr.).
Next up in order of preference: Royal Mo (Gary Stevens)