(BOSSIER CITY, La.) – Louisiana Downs will host Louisiana Cup Day Saturday, Aug. 21, with a post time of 2:45 p.m. CT. The annual event will feature six stakes contests, each worth $50,000 and all for Louisiana-breds: the six-furlong Juvenile for 2-year-olds; the six-furlong Juvenile Fillies for 2-year-old fillies; the six-furlong Filly & Mare Sprint for fillies and mares 3-year-olds and up; the six-furlong Sprint for 3-year-olds and up; the Turf Classic at 1 1/16 miles on the grass for 3-year-olds and up; and the 1 1/16 mile Distaff for fillies and mares 3-year-olds and up on the lawn.
In addition on Louisiana Cup Day, the Louisiana Thoroughbred Breeders Association (LTBA) will award two scholarships, each valued at $1,000, to college students.
“We had a very successful year of registrations online and are fortunate to have registrants sign up at Louisiana Downs and enjoy the races,” said Roger Heitzmann, secretary/treasurer for the Louisiana Thoroughbred Breeders Association. “Students, families and friends are invited to Louisiana Cup Day racing that is a great day of championship racing for Louisiana bred thoroughbreds.”
Requirements for the scholarship are as follows:
- Must be a college student enrolled full-time in an Accredited College, University or Community College for Fall 2021
- Scholarships will be awarded by random draw.
- Must be in good standing with the college or university.
- Must be present to win at the Winner’s Circle when the announcement is made.
- Must have college ID and government-issued ID.
- Must have University ID number or Social Security number.
For Louisiana Cup Day:
- Registration: 1:45 p,m. – 2:45 p.m. at the designated booth
- Races begin: 2:45 p.m.
- Drawing Time: The scholarships will be awarded after the fifth race. The scholarship will be deposited directly into the student’s account at the college or university. The student is asked to know the name and address of the college that they are attending.
“The Louisiana Thoroughbred Breeders Association is paying it forward as it continues to make an investment in the future of our state by investing in our students and the education process,” said Roger Heitzmann, secretary/treasurer for the Louisiana Thoroughbred Breeders Association. “This type of investment is for our future, the state, as well as the organization. These scholarships encourage the younger generation to be engaged with LTBA so that our organization stays the top breeding incentive program in the United States.”
Louisiana Thoroughbred Breeders Association manages the best incentive program for breeding thoroughbreds in the United States. Since the organization formed, this has led to increased purses, better quality horses, and increased interest in racing and breeding horses. The thoroughbred racing and breeding industry generates over $1 billion and employs over 60,000 people in the state of Louisiana.
For more information about Louisiana Thoroughbred Breeders Association visit louisianabred.com
or call (504) 947-4676.