Two Scholarships to be Awarded
at Louisiana Legends Night
Registration and Awards at
Evangeline Downs Racetrack & Casino
OPELOUSAS, La. – Louisiana Legends Night will take place at Evangeline Downs Racetrack Casino & Hotel in Opelousas, La. The Louisiana Thoroughbred Breeders Association will award a total of two scholarships, each valued at $1,000, during the event.
The featured night of the thoroughbred racing season will take place June 4 with the Louisiana Legends Night. The exciting card will include six stakes races for horses bred in the Bayou State, each with a purse of $75,000. A new star emerged last year as Cilla took the Louisiana Legends Mademoiselle Stakes and later scored a graded stakes win in the Prioress Stakes (G2) at Saratoga Race Course in September.
Requirements for the scholarship are as follows:
- Must be a college student enrolled full-time in an Accredited College, University or Community College for Fall 2022
- Scholarships will be awarded by random draw.
- Must be in good standing with the college or university.
- Must be present to win at the Winner’s Circle when the announcement is made.
- Must have college ID and government-issued ID.
- Must have University ID number or Social Security number.
For Louisiana Legends Night:
- Registration: 4:30 p.m. – 5:30 p.m. at the designated booth
- Races begin: 5:30 p.m.
- Drawing Time: The scholarships will be awarded after the fifth race. The scholarship will be deposited directly into the student’s account at the college or university. The student is asked to know the name and address of the college that they are attending.
“The Louisiana Thoroughbred Breeders Association continues to make an investment in the future of our state by investing in our students and the education process,” said Roger Heitzmann, secretary/treasurer for the Louisiana Thoroughbred Breeders Association. “This type of investment is for our future, the state, as well as the organization. Our hope is that these scholarships get the younger generations invested in LTBA so that our organization stays the top breeding incentive program in the United States.”
Louisiana Thoroughbred Breeders Association manages one of the best incentive programs for breeding thoroughbreds in the United States. Since the organization formed in 1963, this led to increased purses, better quality horses, and increased interest in racing and breeding horses. The thoroughbred racing and breeding industry generates over $1 billion and employs over 60,000 people in the state of Louisiana.
Evangeline Downs Racetrack & Casino is the first “Racino” built in this country from the ground up. We feature a state-of-the-art facility with a new one mile oval. The entire property consists of nearly 750 acres. The track houses nearly 1,000 stalls on the backside. There is a pond in the infield, but no alligators (that we know of). We now have a 7/8-mile turf track with a 1 1/8-mile chute.
For more information about Louisiana Thoroughbred Breeders Association visit louisianabred.com or call (504) 947-4676.